Popular Posts

Monday, October 31, 2011

Interview with Cathleen Kronemer

You might not have had an eating disorder and you might not have aspirations to compete in bodybuilding (or even to gain muscle. Hey, not everyone does), but regardless, you should be nothing less than inspired by Cathleen Kronemer's transformation. She went from being very ill with anorexia to being a winning, competitive bodybuilder. That is no easy feat. If you know anything about eating disorders, you know that recovery is so, so difficult, and true recovery pretty rare. And if you know anything about bodybuilding, you know how hard it is to gain muscle and then add being competition-worthy on top of it, you're talking extreme manipulations to and tight reigns on (and usually trust someone else with) your workouts and diet. Combining the two could be a recipe for disaster or just sheer impossible. Cathleen has come full circle. She is a happily married mother of two daughters, a personal trainer, and a group exercise teacher. We have been in contact for a long time, and I am thrilled she agreed to a short interview for my blog.
  • Can you tell me about your eating disorder? Things like when it started, how bad it got, how long it lasted? Also, I know you went through various treatment programs, but when was it that it really clicked for you and you really wanted to change (vs just going through the motions?)
             http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/transf102.htm  this pretty much says it all!
  •  When you were anorexic, did you overexercise? I know some don't include exercise and solely focus on food and restricting, but I am guessing that is not the case for you?  Yes, I taught more aerobics classes than I should have, given how little I was eating.

  • Even after you were in recovery, were you a typical cardio bunny? My only cardio has always been the classes I teach, except during competition prep.

  • When did lifting come into play? I know for me, that's what sparked my recovery. It let me see food as fuel and I loved the way my body changed. Was it like that for you? Exactly!

  • How and when did you start competing? My first comp was in 2005, after 3-4 years of lifting.

  • I know w/ competitions, the diets can become really strict and rigid. How did you manage not to take that too far or become too obsessive and revert to more of an ed mentality?  It is such a delicate balance, and my coach has been vigilant in that regard.

  • Clearly,competing has worked for you and your psyche, but in general, what do you think about recovering anorexics having the goal to compete? Do you think it's a good idea or is there a certain point of recovery that would make one ready? How did you manage not to fall back into your old behaviors or thoughts?  The old thoughts almost never go away.  There has to be an optimal perspective.  For me, competing is part of the reward for my hard work (truly, the winning physique is most of the reward, and the presentation of it on stage and the trophies are just gravy!)  If one is looking to compete simply for the uber-restrictive diet, believe me just go with the diet and forget about lifting.  But if the goal is to be the best you can be, well, there is so much more to that than the food.  What makes one ready?  It’s very individual. I have learned along my journey that this is by no means a unique paradigm; other women and men have gone from ED to competitive bodybuilding. In your head, you need to be okay with ALL THE FOOD --- and that is very difficult, sometimes more so than the lifting!

  • What is your diet like? What's the difference between your on and off season diet? On and off-season both tend to be very clean.  Off-season allows me 2 glasses of wine a week, and a bit more carbs.  My comp-prep is shorter than some others due to the fact that I stay lean all year long, so there’s less to shred down. But during comp prep, carbs start to slowly ease away, as do fats. Protein always stays high, but the portions do get a bit smaller those final few weeks (5-6 oz per meal drop to 4 oz protein).

  • What's the one food you go for after a competition?  After I re-hydrate?  My first post-trophy meal is usually something along the lines of what I have been eating, so as not to shock my tummy!  This year I had some rare tuna, steamed veggies, but I also allowed myself some brown rice!!  I do always have some chocolate pretty soon after the comps are over, though!!!

  • What is your workout routine like?  Right now I’m on a 3-day split.  Day one is legs, Day 2 is back/biceps, Day 3 is chest/shoulders/triceps.  I do the first 3 days of the week heavy weights/low volume, then take a day off.  The last 3 days of the week repeat those body parts, but diff exercises and low weight/high volume. Then I take another day off.  So,3 on,1 off, allowing me to work each body part twice in a week, both heavy and light weights.

  • When did you get your training certification? Do you have a typical type of clientele or do you train people w/ all sorts of goals? Do you have a favorite grp to train? I became certified 3 ½ years ago, by NSCA (National strength and Conditioning Association).  I train all sorts of individuals, ranging in age from 20 to 70+.  My fav client is one who is there to work hard, have fun, and get results!!!

  •  I know you teach exercise classes and have cardio built into your routine as well. How do you find the balance between all the cardio and preserving and even gaining muscle? I know a lot of people shun cardio for this reason, but it has clearly worked for you. It is indeed something to be watchful and mindful of, because excess cardio can strip away everything you have worked for in terms of muscle mass! For this reason ,I only teach a certain number of classes a week.

  • Tell me about the competitions you've done. I know you just won overall (mazel tov, again!!). Do you have a most memorable moment? Was it your first one?  Yes, there is no doubt that my first comp was the most memorable!  When you step on that stage, you feel beautiful,which is something that is such a gift!!!  I also loved winning a comp on my birthday one year!  Taking 2nd at Nationals was also unbelievable.  But this last season, 5 first-place trophies, was really outstanding for me especially at the age of 50.

  • Did you ever think you'd be thriving this much at 50 or that this is what 50 could look like?  NEVER!!! Honestly I hadn’t expected to live past 39 so each day, each year, and each trophy is a wonderful bonus!

  • My motto, and what I have learned, although it's hard for me to do - yet so easy for me to preach - is "more is not better. Better is better." I always want to do more at the gym, but know lengthy workouts are counterproductive. Do you have a training motto or mantra?  “Train smarter, not harder.”

  • Do you have any advice for those struggling with or recovering from eating disorders? Y’know, I really try to shy away from that. Well-meaning individuals have through the years tried to say stuff to me, and it just falls on deaf ears until one is ready, truly ready, to embrace a change. Until then, it’s just something with which one must struggle.  Knowing it usually doesn’t disappear totally, I have come to believe that ED is a lot like diabetes…you learn to manage it so you can live the best life you can.

  • What advice would you give to those trying to become bodybuilders and who have aspirations of competing? FIND A QUALITY COACH!!!!  This is worth more money than what you spend on supplements, protein powder, gym clothes, anything. Also, recognize that what you do in the gym means nothing if you can’t commit to what you need to be doing in the kitchen.


  • Do you have any links to your articles or to where people can find out more about you?  Check out www.worldphysique.com.  On the main home page,look for the box marked “columns”.  Click on it and go to “Improvements”. I write a monthly self-improvement column!
randi morse, randi.morse@gmail.com, newton, ma

No comments:

Post a Comment