Popular Posts

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Laxatives: The ugly truth

Warning - graphic image at the end of the post

First, I think there is a misconception that laxative abuse is somewhat specific to people with eating disorders or disordered eating. But bodybuilders, who, by the way, often also have eating disorders or disordered eating, sometimes rely on them too. Sometimes  you will hear about people taking them after a cheat meal or day, usually because of guilt or feeling  too bloated. But more often it is when  bodybuilders are cutting. Cutting is like mainstream dieting, but besides eating at a deficit (usually and ideally 10-20%), they also lift heavy and pay special attention to macronutrients, with the goal being to persevere as much muscle mass as possible while losing body fat. Typically after cutting, bodybuilders will then bulk (i.e., eat above maintenance, also while lifting  heavy, with the goal being increasing muscle and gaining size). Just like in dieting, constipation is common when cutting, especially when people eat at too large of a deficit (yes, there most certainly is such a thing) and/or do not include the right foods. Their constipation is akin to those with traditional eating disorders in that it can last a really long time, and at some point, it just becomes too uncomfortable to tolerate.
Whether used for weight loss* or constipation, laxatives are not meant for more than short-term use, and longer-term use, and certainly abuse, is quite harmful. Most people know that you can become dependent on them, and while that is true, as is the fact that you will continue to need more and more in order for them to work, they are much more dangerous than that. Laxative abuse  can cause fluid retention, electrolyte imbalances, nutrient deficiencies, IBS, gastritis, severe dehydration, weakening of the bones, anemia, permanent bowel impairment, liver failure, esophageal damage, tumors in the bowel, pancreatitis, and permanent colon damage, including cancer.
Maybe you just read that as a list and saw it like one of those drug commercial ads on tv where they list all these heinous potential side-effects.
Maybe I can scare you straight. Maybe my pictures can.
Sparing you details, I was a long-term abuser, and although it had been years since that was the case, the damage was done and it recently caught up to me.
In December, January, and February of this year, I had a subtotal colectomy (80% of my colon removed), ileostomy, and ileostomy reversal, respectively. My colon had died. No cancer, no colitis, no nothing. Laxatives. I was in the hospital for 3 months. Major, painful surgery and no working out for 4 months.
This is what I looked like 5 days post-op.

Convinced yet?
*Laxatives might make the number on the scale go down, but you do not actually lose weight. Most of the food and calories have already been absorbed by the small intestine by the time the laxatives reach the large intestine, and you lose water, electrolytes, minerals, and indigestible fibers. Rehydration causes the number on the scale to go back up.

randi morse, randi.morse@gmail.com, newton, ma

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for the pain you endured under surgery and rehabilitation. I'm glad you made this post, it really packs a punch. I hope this helps those who have considered taking laxatives to cope with their ED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made this post too. This is the first place I've seen this angle on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am a struggling female bodybuilder, and have also abused Laxatives. I have not had any problems (as of yet), but I have also quit using laxitives alltogether. The sport is a huge mind game and it can kill you from the inside out. Thank you very much for sharing this. Scared straight, you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect this post is not true. The pic shown can't possibly be 5 days post-op. I recently had an operation on bladder/intestines and 5 days post-op you couldn't even see what my stomach looked like because of all the tubes and drains coming out of it as well as the bandages. A month and a half later there were still scabs on the incisions and threads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot for this post. Laxatives is a good way to lose weight healthy way if done in right way, but most of the people take wrong way or use wrong laxatives, so that's why I have also listed best laxatives with reviews on my lose 10 pounds fast website.

    ReplyDelete