Popular Posts

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kleiner's Essential Muscle-building formula for women

Before I became a trainer, but was interested in fitness and nutrition, I read a book called Power Eating, Third Edition (Human Kinetics, 2007) by Dr. Susan Kleiner, PhD, RD, FACN, CNS, FISSN. The degrees and certifications are impressive, as is she. You can visit her website, learn more about her and what she does, and check out her blod at:  http://drskleiner.com/ I strongly suggest you do so.


I actually read Power Eating when it first came out, then reread it for CEU's when I became a trainer. A 4th editition is in the works, and  I will read that too. It will have updated research and information, which I am always after, and will also contain new meal plans and recipes. I have currently been rereading what I underlined in the current version and found a recipe I used to make.
When I used to make protein shakes, I was all sorts of creative. I'd add combinations of things like pumpkin, sweet potato, avocado, greek yogurt, oats, peanut flour, nut butter, berries, banana, diced pears, lf chocolate milk, etc. And as you may know by now, I'm not into recipes. I like to come up w/ my own concoctions.

But I did try a few of Dr. Kleiner's, one of which is:

Kleiner's Essential Muscle-building formula for women**

1 cup nonfat milk
1/4 cup calcium-fortified orange juice
1/4 cup frozen strawberries
14 g isolated whey protein powder
1 tsp omega-3 brain boost powder*

Blend until smooth.

*available at http://www.omega3powder.com/
** Printed with Dr. Kleiner's permission

I did buy the omega3powder because at that time I hadn't found all the foods with omega-3's that I now know and love.But then I omitted the powder and added t joe's blueberry flaxseeds. I would also use mixed berries instead of strawberries and unsweetened hemp or almond milk, and depending on how much milk I'd use, I sometimes would add more protein powder.

I can't help it, I put my own twist on everything.

Enjoy!

randi morse, randi.morse@gmail.com, newton, ma

No comments:

Post a Comment