Popular Posts

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Meal plan, take II

I didn't intend on making this post. I want to keep it real and show that I am not a "do as I say, not as I do" type - that I lead a healthy lifestyle. I think it's important for you to know that. To know bits and pieces of my journal and who I am, but I don't want to instill too much of me in the blog (e.g., I thought about taking down some of the stuff, inc the picture, in the laxative entry, but I got a lot of feedback from it, so I kept it in). I want to impart knowledge based on what I've lived through but more so based on what I read. Cutting edge research.

I did, however, get a few emails about my changed meal plan - why, what it consists of, etc. So I will now share that with you.

I always prided myself on being a healthy eater. Having every morsel that enters my mouth having a purpose. Nutrient-density. I was bulking and am into bodybuilding, and for those things (not exclusively, to be sure), macro's matter a lot. That's where the main focus is. But I wasn't like some of them who carry an "IIFYM" (if it fits into your macro's) mentality. Everyone believes in balance, and they'd all find fault, as they should, in a diet devoid of vegetables, but that's not enough for me, and never was. Nutrient-density. But I was increasingly having some cognitive dissonance about my use of protein powder. My vice, as I called it. The main appeal is its convenience factor, and I wasn't even using it for that. I didn't put it in a shaker cup so I could add water whenever and go. And I felt like I wasn't focusing quite enough on antioxidants and phytochemicals. So I either had to change my thinking or change my behavior, and I went with the latter.

So what follows us what I came up with, and I must say, I have never been happier or more confident in my meal plan. There is mixed research on dairy, so some people might not appreciate that, but it works for me.

I also want to note that my meal plan is a little less than this at this point, with being on a hiatus from working out (fractured vertebrae) and being limited in movement in general. I was bulking and now that is on hold and I am maintaining.

Any more questions, just ask.

Meal 1 - baked oats goes green - 40 g oat bran + 15 g wheat bran OR 40 g oats, 1 c spinach, 1 c kale, 1 oz avocado, 2 tbsp blueberry flaxseeds, 1 tbsp psyllium husk, 1 tsp xanthan gum, 1/4 tsp baking power, 1/4 tsp baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, 1/2 asian pear (bananas, apples, and mixed berries work well too), 1/2 c canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix), 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk, 22 g walnuts (other optional, nutritious add-ins - nut butter (cashew is my personal fave), unsweetened cocoa powder, anything else you can think of. Anything goes with this versatile recipe, Could even add protein powder, if you so desire). To make, preheat oven to 380 degrees. Spray a loaf pan, mix ingredients, bake for ~45 min, and then put on broil for a few to get a nice, crispy crust. Makes a single serving loaf. You'll have to play with the baking time because it can come out like a mushy mess due to the water content of the vegetables.

Here's a picture before it's all mixed and baked (looks prettier this way, but equally as yummy when it's done):



Meal 2 - 2% greek yogurt, 1 1/2 c harvest hodgepodge, 30 g dark chocolate edamame, 3 slices of ezekiel bread

Meal 3 - frozen concoction 1 - 40 g high fiber o's, 1/4 c oatmeal, 30 g pistachios, 1/2 c unsweetened coconut milk, 1/2 c white kidney beans, 3/4 c very cherry blend, cinnamon, ginger, 15 g wasabi wow. I like to make this ahead of time and freeze it, then microwave for about 30 seconds (you'll know when it's ready. You want it to be kind of frozen, but be able to separate pieces) when ready to eat.

Meal 4 - 79 g tofu, 1/4 c black beans, 1/2 c mushrooms or tomatoes or a bell pepper, 1/2 c green beans, 1 c chopped turnip greens with diced turnips, 1 c bok choy and 1 c broccoli, with apple cider vinegar and a lot of spices - ginger, garlic, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, curry powder, rosemary, oregano -  and 70 g soba noodles.

Meal 5 - frozen concoction 2 (NB - not mock ice cream. Different consistency): 113 g 1% cottage cheese (greek yogurt and silken tofu work as well, but I prefer the texture of cc), 1 scoop plant protein powder (pea, hemp and rice), 1 tbsp psyllium husk, 1 tsp guar gum, 20 g oat bran, 28 g cashews, 1 large banana, water (could use unsweetened hemp, soy, coconut or almond milk instead of water). I make 3.5 cups (with all ingredients and water included) and freeze for about 2.5 hrs. Freezing time definitely varies according to type and even brand of protein powder used.

randi morse, randi.morse@gmail.com, newton, ma

No comments:

Post a Comment