Popular Posts

Sunday, September 25, 2011

And so it begins...

I am a certified personal trainer as well as a recovering anorexic, and both facets impact my thoughts on wellness, nutrition, and working out to a great degree, such that they are inherent in who I am.

NB: This blog is going to be informational, but some posts, especially the first few, will have more information about me and more of a journal-esque quality to them.

This is me:


For my first post, I thought I would share what "a day in the life of" consists for me as far as food goes, as people always ask me what I eat. I will not post cals or macros of my foods, nor will I ever talk about my stats. If you want cals and macros of specific concoctions I make - I don't consider what I do to be baking or cooking. I merely make up creations - just ask.

Meal 1 - baked oats on crack (i.e., w/ protein powder) - 40 g oat bran + 15 g OR 40 g oats, 1 scoop protein powder (I find that the flavor of casein is stronger in baking than whey), 15 g chia seeds, 1 tbsp psyllium husk, 1 tsp xanthan gum, 1/4 tsp baking power, 1/4 tsp baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla extract, 1/2 asian pear (bananas, apples, and mixed berries work well too), 1 container baby food pears or 1/2 c pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix), 1/2 c liquid eggs, 22 g walnuts (other optional, nutritious add-ins - nut butter (cashew is my personal fave), unsweetened cocoa powder, anything else you can think of. Anything goes with this versatile recipe). To make, preheat oven to 380 degrees. Spray a loaf pan, mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, bake for ~22 min, and then put on broil for a few to get a nice, crispy crust. Makes a single serving loaf.


Meal 2 - 2% greek yogurt, 1 extra large banana, lite string cheese, 3 slices of ezekiel bread

Meal 3 - a mixture containing 40 g high fiber o's, 1/4 c oatmeal, 30 g pistachios, 1/2 c eggbeaters, 1 scoop protein powder, 3/4 c very cherry blend, cinnamon, ginger, 15 g wasabi wow. I like to make this ahead of time to make it more solid, but you then give up the cereal being extra crispy, so your choice.



Meal 4 - 3/4 c eggbeaters w/ 2 tbsp avocado, 1 slice jarlsberg lite,  and then 3 of the following veggies, switching daily - different colored bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, kale, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower, with a lot of spices - ginger, garlic, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, curry powder, rosemary, oregano, and 70 g soba noodles.

Meal 5 - frozen concoction (NB - not mock ice cream. Different consistency): 113 g 1% cottage cheese (greek yogurt and silken tofu work as well, but I prefer the texture of cc), 1 scoop protein powder, 1 tbsp psyllium husk, 1 tsp guar gum, 20 g oat bran, 28 g cashews, 30 g dark chocolate edamame, 2 tbsp wheat germ, water. You'll have to play around with the amount of water and the freezing time, but I make 3.5 cups (with all ingredients and water included) and freeze for about 2.5 hrs.

randi morse, randi.morse@gmail.com, newton, ma

2 comments: