Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Role model vs relateability

In case you're wondering, that is a bacon cheeseburger sandwiched between two krispy cream doughnuts, and a friend, a trainer, ate it. On that day he also ate 3 corn dogs on a stick, fried dough, and a cornucopia of other foods. Unfortunately they were out of fried butter when he got there.

Now of course that was a one time thing, but the fact is, he doesn't eat well at all in general. My mission is to change that.

People, especially ones who are cutting or dieting, although it even can pertain to those that are bulking, have cheat meals or days, splurges, what ever you want to call it. Bodybuilders also have an acronym, "IIFYM," which stands for, "if it fits into your macros," meaning that you can eat anything so long as your stay within your caloric goal and your macros (usually focusing on getting the right amount of protein and fat).

What you eat certainly plays a role in health and wellness, but less so when it comes to physique (although one recent study I read found otherwise. But most of the research supports this), something I have witnessed (as is the case with the trainer I mentioned) and know, but have a hard time believing. Or maybe I believe it, but I don't believe in the concept of eating unhealthy food, not fueling yourself with what best serves your body.

But balance is key (Joy Bauer has a 90/10 philosophy), so that is where I am wrong. But it's more a matter of eating what you like and not depriving yourself, so you can maintain a healthier lifestyle instead of feeling like you are on a diet, for example. I love everything I eat, my concoctions are treats to me, and there's nothing I crave.

Everyone has their vices, though, and mine is protein powder. I love it, and do get protein from other sources (mainly greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, and liquid eggs), which I think is important, but I do not necessarily think 3 scoops of protein powder a day is good, and it's not something I'd recommend, especially for someone eating less calories than I consume. I eat a lot. It's not bad for you, but whole foods are far superior.

But all this, especially when I overheard the trainer bossting about it to his clients (much like how some bb'ers proudly want others to rate their cheat) about his eating frenzy, what does one look for and want in fitness professionals, nutritionists, and wellness coaches?

First, I want to say that I do not think trainers are at all qualified to give nutrition advice unless they have a certificate or degree in nutrition. Time and time again, I've heard trainers give horrible advice and perpetuate myths. It is the most frustrating thing. And it's hard because diet and exercise go hand-in-hand so clients always ask trainers (or trainers just throw in their .02) and trust their knowledge, or lack thereof.

But what do you want or expect from all these people who are supposed to support health?

I suspect the answer will be different for different people, and also differences between what you expect from a trainer vs a dietician in terms of their own workouts and eating.

Personally, I think ideally, they should be role models and lead a healthy lifestyle, although "healthy" might have some subjectivity in its definition.
.
I don't live in the world of moderation, but do think it's a good thing for most people. I think it's very unrealistic not to plan in treats or have cheats, and trainers and nutritionists are human too.

Others might want trainers like this one, caring more about appearance and liking that you can get away with eating junk and still look good. Maybe it makes them find their own transformation more doable.

And maybe this is one place where there needs to be a distinction between trainers and dieticians, because, to me, a dietician who ate the krispy kreme bacon cheeseburger and ate poorly on a regular basis would be akin to nurses and doctors who smoke. Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't trust them at all.

But what is better - being a role model and being inspiring or being more relateable and maybe inspiring because of that? Not that the two need be mutually exclusive or that there isn't or shouldn't be a balance.

Just my musings for today.

randi morse, randi.morse@gmail.com, newton, ma


No comments:

Post a Comment